Adlington and District Community Centre
Railway Road, Adlington, Lancashire. PR6 9RF
Booking Secretary : 01257 480840
In the summer of 1900 a corrugated iron church, which had previously seen service in Southport and Nelson, was brought by canal to Adlington, and erected on the site of the present Community Centre. This church was dedicated to St Philip, and opened on 7th July.
The congregation took on a project to be a mission to the boat people on the canal, and also they set up a Sunday School for their own children.
A purpose built Sunday School was planned for the 800 children in the congregation. Enough money was raised for the foundation stones to be laid in October 1905, and these foundation stones can be seen in the front of the Community Centre today, and there are in addition 80 small stones with names on them set within the fabric of the building. The Sunday School was opened on the 31st March 1906
The current Community Association was formed on the 15th June 1976 and the Community Centre purchased on the 21st May 1982.
The Committee recorded their thanks to the following organisations and individuals who helped during this purchase and subsequent improvements, and this is recorded on a plaque in the Centre.
John Slater Foundation
Sports Council -
Adlington Carnival Committee
Chorley Borough Council
Adlington Town Council
Anderton Parish Council
Heath Charnock Parish Council
Estate of the late Mr Frank Dickinson
Estae of the late Miss Lilian Fairclough
Constituent Bodies of the Association